Originally established as a licensed club since May 7, 1973 the club has since changed premises from Bankstown (2006-2022) to Latvian House in Strathfield from May 2022.
Most Lithuanians migrated to Australia between 1947 – 1950. Of the 3,000 or so Lithuanians who settled in the Sydney area, many settled in Bankstown. From 1950 onwards, in rented premises, the Lithuanian Community in Bankstown started various Lithuanian cultural and community activities. These included weekend school, children’s theatre, scouts group, choir practice, church service, etc.
In 1954 they purchased a small block of land at East Terrace Bankstown. They purchased an additional adjoining block in 1958 on which the first Lithuanian Community Hall was built in 1959. The aim was to eventually establish a Lithuanian Club there. In parallel with these activities other Lithuanians in Sydney were also planning to establish a Lithuanian Club. For this purpose an old hotel was purchased in Alexandria in 1956. This was later sold and other premises were bought at Lidcombe in 1965.
In 1970 the two Lithuanian Club organisations decided to amalgamate, sell the Lidcombe property, extend the Bankstown premises and apply for a Club License. On May 7, 1973 the licensed Sydney Lithuanian Club was opened in Bankstown.
The Club premises were further extended in 1981 producing a bigger and better Club. The Lithuanian Club Ltd in East Terrace was sold and ceased operations in these premises on 27th November 2005. The boutique Club opened at its new location on the ground floor at 16-20 Meredith Street Bankstown in 2006 and has since then in 2022 relocated to Strathfield, moving in with the Latvian community.