Lõke aka “The Flame/Fire” was formed in 1997 by Erik Holm who approached numerous Australian Estonians with the idea of creating an Estonian music group. Unlike the existing choirs in Sydney, the majority of Lõke members are born in Australia, with either one or both Estonian parents.
The group has provided an opportunity for these Australian-Estonians to:
- learn to sing and play traditional and contemporary Estonian music
- learn more about the Estonian culture through the words of the music and through participation in various Estonian events
- meet regularly with others who share an Estonian background or interest
- promote an awareness of the Estonian culture in the broader community through performances of Estonian music whilst wearing traditional Estonian costumes
- serve the Estonian community by performing at various functions and events.
The composition of the group has varied over the years, however, it is primarily a vocal group, accompanied by various instruments, including guitars, flute, viola, piano and accordion.
New singers are always welcome to join us for Monday rehearsal at 6:30pm at Sydney Estonian House.
For more information, contact Kieran Scott via email email@example.com or phone 0419 143 647.