The Estonian Archives in Australia (EAA) was established by the Council of Estonian Societies in Australia on 5 January 1952. The first archivist was Alexander Peel, a year later Dr Hugo Salasoo was appointed as the archivist, a position he held for nearly 40 years. He was succeeded by his son, Dr Inno Salasoo. In 1994, following the move of the archive from Dr Salasoo’s house, Maie Barrow was appointed as the archivist. EAA is one of the three big Estonian Archives existing outside Estonia and holds an important collection of material relating to the lives and achievements of Estonians living in Australia.
Since 1994 the Archive has been housed in Estonian House, 141 Campbell St, Surry Hills, not far from the centre of Sydney. EAA is funded for day to day expenses by the Council of Estonian Societies, the parent body for Estonian organisations in Australia and by donations from the public. The Archive is currently relocating downstairs to the lower ground floor of Sydney Estonian House and is facilitated by grants from the ECFA and the Sydney Estonian Co-op.
The staff consists of an Honorary Archivist, Maie Barrow, assisted by a small number of volunteers. The work of the Archive is overseen by the EAA Advisory Council whose members are appointed by the Council of Estonian Societies in Australia, to whom it reports annually.